Skip to main content

Happy May!

Happy May! I wanted to pop in and share a few pictures from my month of April which seemed to fly by quickly. As I am trying to catch up with my blogging friends today I realized it had been a month since I last posted. My mercy! But, I am so busy doing this thing we call life here on earth and enjoying every moment that I can. With my immediate family of 14 there is never a dull moment y'all!   We had three family birthdays in April. My SIL David, granddaughter Adalynn and oldest granddaughter Raygen.  Our favorite grandson Conner (only grandson) carried his girl to the prom. We had to snap at least one picture with Mom and Nana! Two of my elementary school friends and I get together at least once every 4-5 weeks so we went to breakfast and then to  Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens. We always have so much fun.  The gardens are so beautiful that I couldn't even attempt to snap all the pictures I wanted. There are so many beautiful paintings to look at this but this was one of

{Birthday Mountain Trip}


Well y'all, my birthday celebration came to an end. I tried real hard to get Marty to agree to carry it over into March but he said he had to draw the line somewhere!  Wanted to share with my blogging friends my birthday trip to the mountains.

WARNING...Lots of pictures but not nearly all of them! These pictures are not in any particular order but these are some of my most favs out of the MANY I took! 


The mountains, like the ocean is always breathtaking to me. Most days had clear skies except for one day and as far as you could see, the beauty of mountains surrounded us.


Someone asked me, "Don't you have a fireplace at home?". Well, yep I do. But there is something different about being away in a cabin and sitting by a fireplace with your feet propped up! At home...I am afraid too many other things beckon my attention but NOT THIS WEEK!




Oh how I love me an "OUTSIDE FIRE" as I like to call it. We enjoyed sitting around the camp fire several nights. 






We took many scenic tours and stopped along the way. Many of the places we visited before on other trips but the beauty of the mountains never grow old.




We made a day trip to Helen Ga. Not too many tourists this time of the year. Most of the folks we talked with in various little towns said their mountain towns usually boom the best beginning mid March through Valentine's but mainly depends on the season and location. Seems the months of October and December are the most popular among most of the little towns we visited.


We had lunch at Hofer's and it was so good. Very cozy and quaint place to eat and loved the history. The owner is actually German and our waitress told us a lot about the history of the Cafe'. She said that most everything they prepare come from the owner's mother's recipes.  The inside of Hofer's was built to replicate an authentic German Café. The furniture was all imported from Germany and they have a neat mural painted showing the history of baking in Germany.We really enjoyed having lunch there.

Coffee on the balcony just seems to taste better.

Especially when it snows!


Now us Floridians do not get snow so you know I was happy to see a little!


At least I wasn't so giddy about it that I forgot to put my gloves on....




One of the highlights of the trip for me was visiting The Sweet Shoppe. I had read about this quaint little place and of course being a Food Network fan I couldn't pass up the opportunity to visit The Sweet Shoppe in downtown Blueridge.




And as luck would have it, one of the owners- winners came in and OH YES! I DID get my picture made with her. We actually talked a bit and she was as sweet as her sweets!


CHEESE CAKE....GOOD GRIEF HOW GOOD!

Some of my tea party friends will love this picture. I had myself a little tea party for one. Well, I had coffee but still....


So many beautiful scenic areas along our way. The Chattahoochee National Forest is beautiful. We rode through one side of the forest a few days prior to these pictures taken.


A few days later we went on the other side of the forest.


We went on a 2 mile hike in the Chattahoochee National Forest. It was a beautiful day. Marty found this stick lying on the ground so it became my walking stick. GLAD I HAD IT! I am not a hiker! #hetalkedmeintoit#promisedmewewouldshop
LOL! 





Such beautiful scenery.



And what do you know but we had snow yet another day! 


We visited all the nearby towns and counties. As a friend of mine said once, "Sometimes it's not about where you go as much as it is just the change of scenery". So true.


And you can't go to Blueridge and not go to Mercier Orchards.



On our way headed home we broke up the drive and stayed in McDonough, Ga.  Such a great town and so much shopping to do there......I didn't shop any!


We had never eaten at Hog-n-Bones before so had lunch there. If you have one nearby, do give them a try. They are closed on Sundays (good for them) but the food, atmosphere, employees and price was excellent. 


So what did I do with all those Apples? Well, my family each got a bag full but I made an Apple Cider Pound Cake.

My granny's old pound cake pan makes the best pound cakes ever!


I brought home apple cider too as Marty and I both enjoy hot apple cider. I found a recipe using the cider and tweaked it a tad and well, it turned out wonderful. I might need to share the recipe next week with you all if you like apples and pound cake.


 The mountains are always a great place to visit. Though I am most definitely a flat land girl I sure enjoyed the beauty of God's creations in those breathtaking mountain views. It is always good to get away....but I was ready to see my family. Hugs from my grands never felt so good! There is NO PLACE LIKE HOME

 I hope that you all have a great week and remember; take some time out the busyness of life to enjoy life...it sure can refresh the soul. 

 Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Comments

  1. Everything in this post is just delightful. The scenery, that gorgeous couple we keep seeing, and of course, the FOOD. I'm glad your birthday celebration was such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you GM. We enjoyed every minute. Much needed time for my man for some R & R and I am always up for a good trip! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Squealing with delight...gurl...you and I would just have so much fun if we ever met up!!! (smiles) ---indeed, there is no place like home.

    I am so glad you had a lovely birthday. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. We talked about you on our trip matter of fact. Was trying to tell Marty where you lived...the country side of NY!

      Delete
  3. Cindy, I love the place you stayed in. You and your husband are so cute. I loved seeing all the photos. Wouldn't you love to be a taste tester at the bakeries? LOL Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie. Our cabin was so great. A taster would be an AWESOME job to have!

      Delete
  4. You always take the greatest birthday trips and have such fun. I'm thinking I may need a trip for my birthday this year. Have a great week as you settle back in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure had a great time Lea. Looking forward to the next one. Which is coming up soon. (Smiles)

      Delete
  5. Six months of Florida’s flatness makes theses mountains all the more inviting. Sounds like a lovely trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cindy, I enjoyed all your pictures. I think I like the one of you outside in the snow in your jammis. I live in flat land and now to make things worse, in a city called Corona! My hubby and I enjoyed our trip to Lake Tahoe and Yosemite so much last October that we plan to g back again next fall. That apple pound cakes looks so yummy! You will have to share the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corona? LOL! The apple pound cake was a hit for sure.

      Delete
  7. You guys are so cute! It looks like a wonderful trip and I love seeing all the photos that you shared. The cabin is so cozy, the view stunning and the food delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather Lou. You would love the cabin we stayed in.

      Delete
  8. I loved seeing all your pics on FB, and again here, Cindy. I love the beach, but the mountains are my favorite. My late beloved and I loved hiking bib the mountains. You had such a memory making trip. I would’ve loved all the restaurants and sweet shops! Your tea (coffee) for one was calling my name. Wasn’t that red teapot the cutest?? I’m so glad that you and Marty enjoyed special time together. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kitty and thanks so much for your prayers! Meant the world to me.

      Delete
  9. Hi Cindy. Love it all. What a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday. It is the best when we carve out small amounts of time like this to take a time out and really relax and enjoy. You and Marty are such a sweet couple and how wonderful to embrace and share a week of love together like this. Happy New Week. Love ya sweet friend.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris. Yes, I agree...I love those small amounts of time. Never seem to be enough but we do live in a reality don't we? Yes, it's a new week and I hit the ground running.

      Delete
  10. Good Morning Cindy!
    You make the sweetest memories with the people you love the most! So happy you had such a fantastic time!
    Hugs,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wise, older lady said to me once, "make all the memories you can because one day honey they will keep you company". Smart lady!

      Delete
  11. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ~ what a great trip. Thanks for sharing with us. I've been keeping up with you on facebook, can I say I'm jealous? lol I'm so glad you had this great time with your hubby to celebrate your special day. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Mary. We had a great time. Just went by so quickly.

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful birthday excursion! It's always fun to explore little towns.

    P.S. I'm intrigued by the apple cider cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to make another one of those cakes this weekend!

      Delete
  13. I love the mountains and I love these photos. Beautiful scenery and good looking models. My heart is full just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the mountains in TN. We live in Indiana so it is a treat to go there. We do get snow here! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I am sure you get lots of snow in your neck of the woods. The snow was a treat for us for sure.

      Delete
  15. Wow, a fantastic trip! A belated Happy Birthday.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a special treat for the two of you to have such a wonderful getaway! That cabin was so adorable, and I loved the picture of the 2 of you in front of the fireplace! I just love that kind of cozy! And you got to see lots of snow too! Sure do love the mountains, the views and scenery are spectacular! And such yumminess in all the little cafe's and restaurants along the way! So glad you had such a wonderful trip! Much love to you sweet friend, glad your birthday getaway was such a fun time for you both :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn. We had a great time. Planning another trip already with all the kids.

      Delete
  17. Cindy,
    You are my hero!! You live in the south and went North for a getaway!! Good for you!! I am not a heat lover so I would definitely be heading North!! Looks like you had a wonderful time!! Thanks so much for sharing!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved your birthday trip. You have the best time! Those sweets are calling my name this morning.
    How nice to have a little snow for fun and not inconvenience.
    My husband has gone trout fishing in Helen, Georgia but I have not been.
    I am so impressed you got home and immediately made a cake and blogged about your trip. Shame on me I have so many trip pictures I have never shared.
    Special birthday wishes to a truly lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 A five star birthday!
    Loved all the fun pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great getaway and wonderful birthday trip! All the pix are beautiful and you look like you are having so much fun! Snow was the icing on your birthday cake :)
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful trip you had...looks like everything was absolutely perfect...snow and all!! What a treat!! Thank you for sharing it with us...I could really enjoy a mountain trip like that one of these days..."In His Time"... God bless you and thank you for being such a cheerful, happy friend who is a blessing to us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a great time. Hope that you are on the mends.

      Delete
  22. Such a wonderful way to celebrate you. Everything looks amazing. I love the photos. you always have a smile and your perky personality is such a joy. happy belated Birthday Cindy. xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Being a mountain girl myself (formerly in Colorado till moving to Florida in 2017), I really enjoyed all your photos of this wonderful birthday trip. It looks like you saw and did all the right things to fully appreciate the beauty of the mountains. The cabin pics were great, too. What a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. We had a good time. I bet you miss those mountains since you were a mountain girl.

      Delete

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by to visit.
Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Popular posts from this blog

Hiding the Ugly Hot Water Heater

 I shared that I wanted to hide my ugly hot water heater in my laundry room with you a few weeks ago. It just stuck out like a sore thumb. But after all it is a hot water heater right? So my man took a piece of wood (not real wood) but it worked and built a frame for me. So now to see if it would fit and it did. I painted it white and did not like the texture it had even after two coats of white. (rule of thumb...you get what you pay for and the wood was cheap) But I wasn't going to let it whip me!  Found some contact paper at Walmart in the gray and white. Covered the front with the contact paper and loved the look. The top was covered with a piece of painted wood as well and worked perfect to place this on top... And this.... Added a clothes basket in the corner and here was the top.... Yep, no longer an eye sore to me! Went perfect with my gray walls and gray and white floor. Remember the wood tray I bought at a yard

{SON-Flowers}

Don't you just love sunflowers? When I think about sunflowers I think of two things. My motherinlove who loved sunflowers and Fall. I came across a devotional written by Julia Bettencourt on sunflowers and thought it so appropriate for today as I wanted to share my sunflowers with you. Here's a few lessons we can learn from the sunflower.    Sunflowers Track The Sun.   Most plants are attracted to light but the flowering head of the sunflower actually tracks the sun following it's path and moving toward where it is in the sky all during the day. I read somewhere that sunflowers track the sun when they are in bud stage. Isn't that how it usually goes for us as Christians? When we first come to know the Lord, we get excited about knowing all about Him and living for Him, but after awhile we sometimes grow a little preoccupied with other things and get our eyes off of the Lord.   Wouldn't it be great if as a Christian we'd track th

{Happy 46th Wedding Anniversary To Us}

  Happy October everyone! I wanted to pop in today and share a few pictures. Marty and I celebrated our 46th wedding anniversary on September 23.  Oh it seems so long ago that we said "I Do". We started dating when I was 16. Married at 18 and began a family at 20. Needless to say we have surely grown up together. Praise the Lord that we are growing "Older" together.  We decided since it had been about 8-9 years since we had been to Savannah, Ga. that we would take a weekend there and just enjoy a scenic luncheon cruise.  We enjoyed walking River street and sightseeing, shopping and eating of course! It was a nice get away and perfect for us as we are simply two imperfect people that fit perfectly together.  I did spot Santa while in Savannah though! YES, I love Christmas so I had to stop at several Christmas shops! We've had outings that have kept us quite busy and we have surely been blessed to be able to attend our grands functions and our little outings toget