Skip to main content

{March is well under way}

February days are now gone and March has officially kicked in.   I finally purchased a new monthly focus board.  We ventured out for a day date which included a movie. I love our day dates. I will give my honest review about the movie for those interested. I wanted to see this movie as it was based on a true story. I did enjoy the movie but oh my, it was a tear jerker from the get go! It ended good but mercy! Let's just say that I am thankful that no one was sitting close enough to see my tear stained face. I am glad that I saw it but I am good for a while on sad movies, even if they do end good!   My oldest daughter, her husband and their son participated in the Spartan race which is a series of obstacle courses that challenge. They done so well. As you can see from the pictures it gets pretty muddy!  My three daughters participate each year in the Gate River Run. I love it that they do this together. They have so much support & encouragement from all the onlookers. I am just

{Birthday Trip-Chapter 2}



In Chapter 2 of my birthday trip I would like to share a few more pictures with you and I will begin with our Walking Food Tour in Downtown Ashville, NC. 



If you want to take a peek at Chapter 1 here's the link. I shared the Biltmore House, Lake Lure and Chimney Rock, the Cabin that we stayed in and more. 


https://creationsbycindyphotography.blogspot.com/2019/03/im-back-birthday-pictures-to.html


First of all let me say that I have never been on a Food tour or as some call it, a Foodie Tour. I have family and friends that have and some has said...Yay, love food tours...and some has said Nay, not for me. But, I am a fan of Food Network and that is where I first learned of food tours so decided that a Food Tour was in store and why not in downtown Ashville. 

First, let me say that we had a wonderful food tour guide. She was young, energetic, spunky and a cute little thing at that. She shared a wealth of history with us about Ashville as well as history of the area's that we dined in. We couldn't have been more pleased. There were quite a few food tours to choose from but since we had never been on one we chose a walking tour that covered about a mile round trip or a little more of walking. We also chose a mid day tour because you know...us mild-stone age people like to be home by dark. Two other ladies joined us and that was a treat itself. One of the ladies was also celebrating her birthday. These two ladies were born 4 months apart and their parents lived next door to one another. They have always remained the best of the friends. They both live in different areas but at least twice a year they meet and share a "Best Friend's Vacation" weekend. I thought that was really neat.  One of the ladies said that on one of their two trips a year they always do a food tour.



So let's head out on the Food tour, shall we?



First stop was: Zambry: Pomegranate Braised Pork Spring Rolls with avocado and mango dipping sauce. Marty and I both enjoyed this very much. I am not a fan of avocado but I actually enjoyed this very much. 




Second stop was: Mojo. We had Mojo’s Tostones (green plantain chips), fried, Citrus-cumin slaw, chimichurri & grilled NC catfish.
I honestly did not think I would care for this dish but was pleasantly surprised. Marty loved it but said, "Wished they had of fried the catfish". LOL! 


Third Stop: Aux bar.  Pork & Porridge with crushed peanuts.
Well I am going to have to say NAY! Neither of us cared for this dish at all. I actually picked the nuts off the dish and ate them. But, the establishment was booming with music, laughter, and we met the chef who could not accommodate our party enough. 



Fourth Stop: Strada: Grilled Florentine Ravioli.  I personally liked this a lot. Marty...not so much. He is not a fan of anything tomato based.



Of course this beauty was sitting out front of Strada's and my man spent most of his time admiring this ride.



Fifth Stop: White duck taco shop : Bangkok Shrimp taco. We both enjoyed it but I think I enjoyed it a little more than Marty. But in all honesty, by the time we got to White Duck we both felt full. I was surprised at how large the portions seemed to be. Well, that's my opinion as I have heard some say...not enough food for them. But you have to remember, it's a food tour...not an "all you can eat buffet". LOL! 



Last stop: French broad chocolate lounge
Fudge brownie with crunchy cacao nibs and salted caramel. YEP...probably our favorite! I actually carried my dessert back to the cabin to eat. LOVED this place. The funny thing was that I had read great reviews on this place so the day before we actually had stopped there.



My chosen dessert the day before was none other than the caramel creme brulee.  This place was a "hangout" place for sure. Booming with people. Some talking, some reading, and lots of laughter. Our guide said that in the Spring and Summer months people are lined up as far as you can see. NOPE...glad we went when we did. 



And last but not least while on the Food tour I was so inspired about the different spices that I learned about that after we left the food tour we stopped by Trader Joe's. They have the most unusual things there and tons of spices. YEP, came home with several things that I love!


I will sum up the food tour by saying that we are really glad that we went on a food tour. As my husband said, we probably would have never tried any of those foods had we not. Some food items were more enjoyable than others. The history alone was worth the food tour. To be totally honest with you....there's no food like my food. I am soul food lover at heart but I do enjoy trying different cuisines. A food tour is not something I would want to do every weekend but, will we go on another food tour? You betcha! 


The Jerusalem Cafe' was not on the food tour but we stopped there one evening to eat. This was the first time we’ve had lamb. Not bad . It’s not our fried deer back strap either. He actually had the lamb and I had a starter dish of combination foods such as hummus, crackers, two different kinds of salads, fried chickpeas, and etc. Well, I am going to have be gut honest. NOT MY FAVORITE. Matter of fact, about all I did eat off that plate was the hummus as I love hummus. I did honestly taste the other items but NAY.  Marty actually liked his food a lot. It was moderately priced which was great since I left almost a whole plate of food sitting on the table. YIKES!  The atmosphere and decor was beyond gorgeous. I would have paid a fee just to experience the Jerusalem type decor. And, should I ever return I would be willing to try a different dish.


Marty was a good trooper trying out different foods with me throughout the week. But, needless to say the big hit was his bacon cheese burger and fries. LOL! 


Best Tomato Bisque I've ever had too! 

Since we have been on a food tour let's take in a couple of waterfalls. My husband's absolute favorite thing to do is look at Waterfalls. 


The day of waterfalls began with an overcast day and almost gloomy. But, when you look at God's creations the gloom gets pushed to the back burner and all I could see was beauty created by the Master Designer Himself.


We've been to Sliding rock before but as always, it's breath taking to view. 
The Sound of the waterfalls always has a calming effect doesn't it?

411 foot Fall. 

This was probably my favorite of all. We went to several other falls as well. We made a full day riding through the mountains, stopping and sightseeing along the way. The gloomy day turned into a "Wonderstruck" moment. 

Next week will be my final chapter of my Birthday Celebration week. Bet y'all are glad! I will end with the Billy Graham Library. Oh my! What a wonderful place to visit. They should have named it the Billy Graham Museum. It was truly a most humbling experience.

Til then....


Hugs and blessings, Cindy









Comments

  1. I love seeing all of your photos. I've never been on a food tour either. It looks interesting and appetizing...makes me hungry! :-) I think the chocolate lounge would have been my downfall and I would need to be pulled away...LOL. I'm so glad you had a great time on your birthday trip! It looks and sounds like it was absolutely wonderful! So glad you are back and feeling better! Love and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Benita. I can't wait to share the last of the pictures next week. Yes, much better, thank you so much. Followup appointment this week.

      Delete
  2. Great pictures. We love the waterfalls too. I am not so sure I would like a food tour. I am too picky. LOL! I bet the history was worth it though. I am ready for the Billy Graham library pictures. My aunt went last year and that was the only reason she went and she said she wants to go back and carry some friends. She loved it.
    Connie Royals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty loves the waterfalls. Oh I loved the Billy Graham Library. They really should call it a Museum. It was wonderful. If you get the chance to go there please do. You would love it. Hey, I sent you the information you asked for in email. Yes, we booked our condo for family beach trip already. YAY!

      Delete
  3. What a fun tour you both went on! My hubby wouldn't have went near those places because he is not into "different." I am much more adventurous when it comes to food but I've got to tell you that I wouldn't eat most of what you had. We don't eat pork and I'm not big on fish either but I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves. The Strada would be fine because we both like Italian and of course the chocolate lounge would be fine too. Spectacular waterfalls. I also read the two previous posts and Billy Graham's Library would be a thrill to visit. We both loved Billy! I'm glad to know you're feeling better and able to enjoy yourself. Thanks for sharing and do take care. Blessings, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved the Billy Graham library. It was such a humbling experience for me. Girl, I have had several friends tell me there was absolutely no way they would have eaten any of what we tried! LOL! I do enjoy trying different things to eat and that really surprises a few especially when I have gotten so funny about even eating church potluck or family reunion meals! LOL! Sometimes, I think my mind plays tricks on me. Marty...well he was a great trooper but I think he prefers my meatloaf and I know I prefer his fried deer back strap. Ha! But I plan on doing another food tour.

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely trip through some of the restaurants in Asheville, Cindy. Thank you for sharing the food tour with us. It all looked so good. The waterfalls are always a favorite with us, too. Isn't Asheville such a lovely town? I just loved it the day we were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dianna. It was fun. Not something I would do every weekend for sure but would like to do on another food tour again. Marty loves the waterfalls. I love the sound. Brings me comfort.

      Delete
  5. Cindy, I am so glad you did a foodie tour! I think it is fun to try new foods, my hubby doesn’t always agree. I say be adventuresome! The waterfall is truly beautiful and I can’t wait for installment 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam . It was fun . Hope to go on another one . I have a friend that done a dessert and different coffees tour in another state and she said it was great as she actually tasted desserts she would never have made or ordered . All kinds of little tours out there .

      Delete
  6. Now a foodie tour would be right up my alley. Marty was sure a trooper! I'd have to say that the chocolate place would've been my fave. Did you go to Tupelo Honey Cafe?? Rich and I loved the waterfalls and hiking when we were there. I'm so glad that you had a wonderful trip. Love and hugs!! 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitty we did not go to the cafe . I did hear about it and read the good reviews . We didn’t have time to do several things i would have liked. But we sure had a full week of things to do . You would like the food tour .

      Delete
  7. I am glad you explained the food tour thing... kind of like a "progressive dinner" from the old days! Just a lot of unusual and different kinds of foods. You were brave to try them all. Love the waterfalls...that must have been gorgeous. You truly had a wonderful birthday vacation week. Would love to try that whole tour someday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s so funny Pam . I told marty the same thing . This food tour stuff isn’t anything new . Dang we started that years ago in our couples Sunday school classes with progressive dinner .😂 they would be fun to do again . I miss those fun days .

      Delete
  8. I have never done a food tour either, or went on a foodie tour! It all looked interesting but I was wondering why we could not just jump to the dessert one!??? HAHA. BURR...it was looking cold out there standing by that water but you looked so happy. So glad you had a great bday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol ! Needless to say the dessert was my favorite . Yes it was cold . Especially walking and sightseeing the waterfalls .

      Delete
  9. Cindy,
    I never heard of a Food Tour but then again, I have NEVER watched the Food Channel!! I actually HATE to cook!! Joe is and always has been a very picky eater so the Food Tour would be a fate worse than death for him..... I too have to watch what i eat because i have numerous GI problems including IBS so even though it looks interesting , it would not be for us! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There’s food tours everywhere now . And so many different kinds . Yep a food tour surely wouldn’t be for picky eaters . Lol . A friend of mine said they only do seafood food tours because they love seafood . I’m glad we tried the different things . 😊

      Delete
  10. I tried to comment earlier and don't know what happened. Anyway .. Mr. Marty is the best to go with you on the food tour. There's absolutely no way Jack would have put any of that food in his mouth... except for the hamburger and fries, minus the cheese. Downtown Asheville is beautiful...and the waterfalls.... such a contrast from the city. Looking forward to seeing fotos of the Cove! Hope your back to 💯 by now. Hugs and love and prayers to you my Friend. 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty said that was one good bacon cheeseburger . Lol . Nope food tours would not be for picky eaters . I’m looking forward to sharing the final destination of trip next week . Yes I’m feeling much better. Thanks for praying for me . Don’t know when is the last time i was that sick . Tending to a grandbaby right now that’s been to dr twice . 🙏🏻

      Delete
  11. This sounds like great fun! Not sure I'd like the food you guys tried, but I can be adventurous! We are heading to New York City this summer so I have to look into a Food Tour there....never thought of it till this post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann marie , i read an article about the different food tours in New York . A friend from church says her and husband done a good tour in New York and loved it .

      Delete
  12. Your food tour sounds like such fun! We have been on one similar to yours and would love to do another. You’re right, you get to try things you normally might not order. Some good, some not so much but it’s good to stretch yourself now and then. The waterfalls were gorgeous! We drove south of Asheville on our way back from Myrtle Beach at the end of February and there were lots of small water falls along the highways from all of the rain. We even had to backtrack once because of a mudslide in Tennessee! Looking forward to your next post! Happy week!! Zenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stretching ourselves is a good way of saying it . I stretched Marty a lot in that area . 😂 but he said he’d like to go on another one but wants seafood .😂 we came upon a mud slide in the mountains and there were tons of workers out and about . They had had lots of rain before we got there . The day we left they had more rain and snow coming in . We had a good week weather wise so was blessed .

    ReplyDelete
  14. The food tour sounds amazing! We are like you all, though, we aren't much for that fancy kind of eatin'! I cook very down-home type country meals, and that pleases my little family and me just fine! But, we aren't totally against trying new things once in a while, although we always prefer to come back home to my own cooking, to be honest. Glad you shared about this, sweet friend. Your birthday celebration certainly was a special time for you both. May the Lord bless you with many, many more such celebrations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, there's no place like home and no one's cooking like your own! I am a little more adventuresome than my husband there is no doubt so the fact that he would even consider going on a food tour was awesome for me. LOL! But ain't no fried chicken like his! LOL!

      Delete
  15. A food tour sounds interesting but I am another one of those picky eaters. sigh
    We love waterfalls too and have some gorgeous ones in B.C. but maybe not as tall as the ones you have pics of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to be more picky! LOL! I bet you do have some beautiful waterfalls there. Would love to see them one day. So glad you came by. Hoping you are doing well.

      Delete
  16. Your post made me hungry. I've never been on a food tour, but my adventurous palate would love to try out these interesting dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The history lesson in the food tour itself was worth it . Hope you are having a good day and enjoying your green beautiful tea cup 😊

      Delete
  17. That was so enjoyable!
    That food was all so amazing.
    I'm right there with your husband, I LOVE waterfalls!
    Those were awesome, thank you for Sharing the beauty with us.
    I look forward to the library of Billy Graham.

    Bless you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie . Yes, he loves waterfalls . And oh so pretty and calming they are .

      Delete
  18. Girl, all I gotta say is that Jim and I need to get busy visiting a couple of these places before we leave NC! How 'bout you and me meeting up for your next food tour somewhere?? :D How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, wouldn't that be so much fun!!!! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

      Delete
  19. This was just the greatest trip and while I'm not real adventureous when it comes to food, I think I would have thoroughly enjoyed this Food Tour. The Tomato Bisque would probably have been a favorite of mine. Looking forward to your next installment on the Billy Graham Library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lea . That tomatoe bisque was wonderful . I enjoyed every bite .

      Delete
  20. Hello Cindy, I really enjoyed your post.Going through the pictures, I have had that smile on my face.Its as if you are bringing all the warmth and happiness of your travel to your readers. You did have a birthday blast! oh, for the turmeric facial mask:
    1/3 tsp turmeric powder
    1 egg white
    1 tbsp oats
    Blend all these ingredients.Apply the mixture on your face.Scrub gently in circular motion. Leave on for 15 minutes.Wash off with cold water. It cleanse and tightens the sagging skin and makes us young looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady. I have all those ingredients. I might just give that facial a try!

      Delete
  21. Cindy, food tours AND waterfalls all in one post. I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was so much fun! Thanks for coming by Jean.

      Delete
  22. This is a fabulous idea... I need to partake in a Food tour because this one was so much fun and your photos were fabulous.... Your bight and happy smile always warms my heart. I too, love to see the waterfalls.... truly beautiful and relaxing ... Thank for sharing your birthday adventures.... Big Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you zaa . It was fun as well as very informative .

      Delete
  23. Now that was an adventure...the closest I shall ever be to a food tour is shopping at BJs and trying the samples. You two have pluck! I would enjoy the history part of it. Looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Vee . I have a friend that said her food tour consisted of walking around Sam’s abdcteyibg rheir samples and that was almost too much fur her . Lol .

      Delete
  24. What a tour you had. I've never done a food tour but it sounds interesting. Love the photos of the waterfalls. We have a state park not far from us that has the most gorgeous waterfalls - ten of them over a several mile hike that is absolutely breathtaking. God sure did a great job creating our world.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by to visit.
Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Popular posts from this blog

Hiding the Ugly Hot Water Heater

 I shared that I wanted to hide my ugly hot water heater in my laundry room with you a few weeks ago. It just stuck out like a sore thumb. But after all it is a hot water heater right? So my man took a piece of wood (not real wood) but it worked and built a frame for me. So now to see if it would fit and it did. I painted it white and did not like the texture it had even after two coats of white. (rule of thumb...you get what you pay for and the wood was cheap) But I wasn't going to let it whip me!  Found some contact paper at Walmart in the gray and white. Covered the front with the contact paper and loved the look. The top was covered with a piece of painted wood as well and worked perfect to place this on top... And this.... Added a clothes basket in the corner and here was the top.... Yep, no longer an eye sore to me! Went perfect with my gray walls and gray and white floor. Remember the wood tray I bought at a yard

{Another Fun Filled Weekend}

I hope you all are doing well. I am trying to wind down for the night and thought I would try and get a post out. Girls, by this time I am in my fat clothes and recliner smashing that remote control!   Marty and I kicked off our weekend by having a little fun food as I call it,  "charcuterie" style out by the pond. Of course I always fix more than we need or eat but it sure was good.  Two of our granddaughters had dance recitals over the weekend so we got to watch them perform and oh my! They were just the cutest things ever.  We were blessed to be able to see them perform. Then we celebrated a birthday for this sweet grandgirl! She was excited about being double digits . And besides all the fun from the weekend I was able to see some of my pretties in bloom.  Now to enjoy a cup of coffee.... I hope that you all have a wonderful, blessed week.  Hugs and blessings, Cindy

{Happy 46th Wedding Anniversary To Us}

  Happy October everyone! I wanted to pop in today and share a few pictures. Marty and I celebrated our 46th wedding anniversary on September 23.  Oh it seems so long ago that we said "I Do". We started dating when I was 16. Married at 18 and began a family at 20. Needless to say we have surely grown up together. Praise the Lord that we are growing "Older" together.  We decided since it had been about 8-9 years since we had been to Savannah, Ga. that we would take a weekend there and just enjoy a scenic luncheon cruise.  We enjoyed walking River street and sightseeing, shopping and eating of course! It was a nice get away and perfect for us as we are simply two imperfect people that fit perfectly together.  I did spot Santa while in Savannah though! YES, I love Christmas so I had to stop at several Christmas shops! We've had outings that have kept us quite busy and we have surely been blessed to be able to attend our grands functions and our little outings toget